Friday, September 10, 2010

1st Draft


How I learned the difference between a house and a home…

I was ten years old living the life. We had a pool, a huge yard, a wooden swing on the largest oak in our backyard, and had no idea what the word reality meant. Until one day, in the middle of summer, my parents told me we were moving. I was outside swinging looking out into the tall cornfields. I thought to myself “They can’t make me leave, I will scream and make them carry me out!” But that was when reality struck. We started packing our things the weekend after I found out. My brother and sister were younger then me, and the whole thing didn’t seem like a big deal to them. For some reason though, I couldn’t imagine living anywhere else but this place I called home.
I was stubborn and angry the first few weeks at our new house. Yeah, the house was nice and we were in a neighborhood instead of out in the country, but I just wanted to go back. Our new house smelled, well new. I didn’t like it. I found anything and everything I could to complain about the new place.
The day things change was when I found out one of my friends lived in the neighborhood across from mine. She called me one day and asked if I wanted to go to Pete’s Candy Store down the road. We met half way on our bikes and rode down to Pete’s. He was an old guy, probably in his 70’s, sitting in his big chair in the middle of the shop. He stopped me and asked “Hey kid, haven’t seen you here before.  Come over hear and I will make you a bologna sandwich.” That was the best sandwich I had ever had. From that day on, I would meet my friend half way, then ride down to Pete’s to buy a bologna sandwich and some candy once every week.
I realized that day that the only thing that changed was the location of where I lived and was glad I gave the place a chance. I met a lot of nice neighbor kids and we always got together to play baseball in our cul-de-sac once a week. I remember looking at my new place and realizing that a house was just a place you lived. But a home was where you spent time with family and friends, and enjoyed one another’s company. 

No comments:

Post a Comment